Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Maui - Day #5

I am usually the tour guide when we travel. I pretty much choose where we go and what we are going to do. Pops really wanted to go to Hana. We had heard mixed stories about Hana. Some people and books told us, that you HAVE to go to Hana. Others called it "The Road to Hell". Daryl and Cindy had gone a couple of days before and it took them all day. They said the traffic was horrible.


Being that I had already said no to the volcano, I decided to suck it up and go on the Road to Hana. We agreed to only go about halfway. It is a very windy road and if you have the slightest chance of getting car sick, don't go.


The scenery is beautiful. It is so lush and green with lots of water and waterfalls.







We stopped and saw a waterfall and then turned around. One was enough, even though it was all very beautiful.


On the way back, we passed a very famous restaurant, Mama's Fish House. Just about every book I picked up said you had to try it, so we did.






This is the view from our table. It was one of the most beautiful spots on the north shore that we saw. I was not as impressed with the food. It was just okay. I had eaten some banana bread from a stand on the side of the road (yes, highly suggested by all of the tourist books - and it was good). I was not real hungry, so I just ordered an appetizer of lobster guacamole with sweet potato chips. It had a little too much lemon juice for my taste, but what did I expect? A Texas girl eating guacamole in Hawaii?

Pops had a fish dish with some crab and lobster sauce. I had water and he had tea. Total bill? $80. That is a little steep for lunch. The view was worth it though.

We got back to the hotel and laid out by the pool/beach. Shannon's Mom and Dad had a flight out at 4, so we made reservations to eat sushi with Justin and Shannon. We went to Sansei. It is written up as one of the best sushi restaurants in the world. It was good, but not any better than Piranah Killer Sushi in Ft. Worth (that's another story).

We dropped Justin and Shannon back off at the hotel and went went shopping in Lahaina. It is a neat old sea village with lots of little shops.

There is always something sad about the last night. You know it is all getting ready to be over and then back to reality.

post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lolly!
My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blog posts about Maui to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you :)
Jane