Sunday, August 19, 2007

Last Birthday Celebration for Pops

Okay, I know you are looking at the picture and salivating. Don't. It really didn't look like the picture, and it was not near as good as it looks.


For Pops final birthday celebration for this year, we went to Bob's Steakhouse in Grapevine. I have had a few friends go and say it was good, so I was really looking forward to a great meal.

Upon sitting down, we were served some warm bread with really good butter. Things were looking pretty good.

In the center of all of the tables is a really pretty jar of pickles and peppers, with tongs. It appears that you are supposed to help yourself to them. I knew better. I had been forewarned. The minute you open the jar, the waiter will quickly remove it. I didn't even try to eat them, but I did ask the waiter about it, for my friends of course. He said you could eat them if you wanted to but they were really for "color for the table." I looked around and no one else was eating them. They definitely don't want you eating them, but if that is the case, why have the tongs next to it? ?????? I wonder if they are poisonous?

We ordered the blue cheese salad. It was chopped lettuce with blue cheese dressing, blue cheese crumbles, chopped egg and pecans. It was okay, but nothing to get real excited about. Pops ordered the rib eye and I had the fried shrimp. The shrimp was really good, but the rib eye was bland. I just don't get why a restaurant thinks that a steak is great with no other seasoning than salt. I like to eat my steak with steak sauce, and I am always shocked when the only sauce they have it Heinze 57 or A1. I think they should have their own signature sauce. After all, they claim to be a top steak restaurant.

We had the signature skillet potatoes and they were okay. The waiter brought us a piece of chocolate cake and it was just your average bakery cake.

I have been hungry for a good steak for a while. I guess I just need to fire up our grill or go to Saltgrass. I would never choose to go back to Bob's on my own, but if we are invited to go with someone else, I would give it another try.

No comments: