Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hey Ya'll - We Went to Savannah and Hilton Head

Okay, I know the title is cheesy, but I love Paula Deen!



We went to Savannah and Hilton Head last week. I had planned what we were going to do for a while, and the first thing I wanted to do was to eat at Lady and Son's, Paula's restaurant. I anxiously awaited seeing a long line around the building. To my HUGE disappointment, we pulled up to the restaurant and there was a sign that said, "Closed for Renovations". Needless to say, I was so disappointed.



Since I am a Paula groupie, I knew that her brother had a restaurant close by, so we decided to go to Bubba's. While we were at Bubba's, they told us that Lady and Son's had been closed for 2 weeks, but would be opening the next day.



We went to Bubba's at about 5:00 p.m. on a Wednesday. It was pretty empty. We had great food.

Pops had the Shrimp and Grits. He loves this dish and orders it whenever it is on a menu. By the time we left the Georgia/South Carolina area, I think he decided he was so sick of it, that he would not be having it again for a long time.


I ordered the fried catfish. To my delight, it was whole catfish, my favorite! My favorite thing was the red rice. I tried it for the first time a few years ago in Charleston, and order it whenever it is on a menu. I bought Bubba's cookbook. I asked the girl if the red rice recipe was in there, and she told me, no, but it is in Paula's book on page 89. Sure enough, when I got home, I checked my old cookbook out and it was there.

We were too full for dessert, but we took some Strawberry Shortcake with us to the hotel. It was made with Grandma Paul's Sour Cream Pound cake. Delicious!


Our hotel was in Hilton Head, but we headed to Lady and Son's the next night. Pops was not too crazy about it, I thought it was great! They had a buffet and I decided to try it since I would get to taste more food. Friend Chicken, Brunswick Stew, Baked Beans, Macaroni and Cheese, Ribs, Mashed Potatoes, and lots of different vegetables. I would definitely go back again, but I'm not sure I would wait hours like some people do in the summer.


post signature

No comments: