Monday, September 21, 2009

GREAT Discovery - Smokey's Barbeque

Last weekend, the Star-Telegram had a review of a new barbeque restaurant that looked good. The building has been around for many years, with different owners coming in and out. I have never eaten at any of the establishments, but was aware that they were around. Putting it politely, this is not be best of locations. It is located at 5300 E. Lancaster in Ft. Worth. There are not a lot of great places around it, and some people might be a little intimidated to go after dark. All that said, all I can say is "oh my gosh!"

My understanding is that this restaurant is owned by the "Deen" family of the famous Eddie Deen's Barbeque. Eddie Deen does not have a restaurant location, but does lots of catering and has great facilities for that. A few years ago at Fellowship Church in Grapevine, they had an event where Eddie Deen catered and it was great.

Going to Smokey's, I knew that we were not going to be wowed by the atmosphere, but it was better than my expectations. I looks like an old Dairy Queen that has been converted. It has a nice patio on the front and looks like a dining room added on to the side.

First of all, anyone that knows me know how much I love bread. I could live on bread and Dr. Pepper alone. Smokey's makes homemade buns. Can you even imagine great barbeque on top of a homemade bun? You can see them mixing and rolling out the dough as you are ordering. That alone would have wowed me to come back.

We tried 3 different meats and 3 sides. The ribs were probably the best I have EVER had. They had a dry rub and then were cooked with a sweet sauce until it was crunchy. I have read it described as having a candy coating, and that was a great description. They did not need any sauce and fell of the bone.

I thought the cole slaw was good and the potato salad was "off the chain." I am a potato salad lover and would definitely put that one on the top of my list.

Smokey's is open daily except Monday. They serve a Sunday dinner that sound great too. Chicken fried chicken, chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, turnip greens, cabbage, creamed corn, etc - $6.95. Where can you get a full meal like that for so cheap? We didn't try it, but the buttermilk pie is supposed to be great.

Can't wait to go back.

Updated - Well, I couldn't wait to go back and I did, just 2 days later. I was craving it. The ribs were not quite as good this time. They had been taken off the pit and wrapped in aluminum foil and did have the "crunch". I will be sure and ask for "crunchy" ribs next time. The other items were just as good. There was a couple sitting behind us that said they eat there almost every day. They really pushed the buttermilk pie, but I was too full to try it. Maybe next time.
post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I have never been to Smokey's at all.. thank you so much for the awesome review, I'm going to have to make a lil trip!