Tuesday, June 2, 2009

How Did We Miss This??

Last weekend, we decided to make a road trip to Austin. It is pretty close, yet you feel like you are getting away. We stayed at the Marriott Renaissance which was in the Arboretum area.

Before we went, we mapped out a couple of places that we wanted to eat. First we chose Manuel's in downtown Austin. It has been around for a while and is a legend. TERRIBLE. and I mean TERRIBLE. The chips were TERRIBLE, the hot sauce was TERRIBLE and it went down hill from there. We even tried an appetizer and dessert to try to find something redeeming and there wasn't. TERRIBLE. Probably the worst meal I have had in a very long time. Do you get the idea; it was TERRIBLE.

One really fun thing we did afterward, was we went to see a show on 6th Street, Esther's Follies. It has been around for 30 years and we finally got around to going. It was hysterical. In the future, when I go to Austin, that will be a part of our trip.

Sunday night, we decided to go to The Salt Lick BBQ. It is another place we had heard about for years, but just never went. We always went to County Line BBQ.

Wow! We have missed out. Not only was the drive neat (about 15 miles out of Austin in the Hill Country, it was a neat place with great food. Everything we ate was delicious. When they brought out the bowl of BBQ sauce, I was a little worried because it was a strange color. It almost looked like BBQ sauce mixed with sour cream. It was some of the best I have ever had. And did I mention the homemade bread?


It was a really great meal with a great atmosphere. We arrived at 4:15 p.m. and had a 30 minute wait.

If you go to Austin, don't miss out on Salt Lick or Ester's Follies like we have for all of these years.


post signature

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yummy! The Salt Lick was just featured on "Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives". Looks sooo good!!

Katalack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katalack said...

Hi Laura,

The City of Grand Prairie had actually signed a deal with Salt Lick to open up a place down by Joe Pool Lake, but because they are expanding in different market areas (Las Vegas for one) they decided not to come to GP. So darn, and yes there food is great.

Gigi2 said...

I have heard of Salt Lick, but never have gotten there. Maybe I can talk Ed into going on our upcoming anniversary!
Thanks for the post!

Perfectly Jenn said...

There is nothing better than Salt Lick BBQ and I agree about the the strange look of their sauce, but it's amazing!!
And Esther's Follies is also a great place to go!!
I've never been to Manuel's myself so I can't say anything about them but now I know to stay away.

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is such an opportune time for me to read this - My Mom and I are driving to Fredericksburg in March, and will be staying 2 nights in Austin - I am going to try The Salt Lick! THANK YOU!!!