Thursday, March 5, 2009

New Restaurant - Tre Amici


We tried a couple of new restaurants this weekend. One was just okay. I'm not going to write about it until I give it another visit. While we didn't think it was that great, it has potential and is worth another chance.

Saturday night, we went to Fruia's Tre Amici. It has been open for a couple of months. I had read a couple of reviews in the paper. They were really good reviews, but there wasn't anything about them that made me want to give it a try. At the time, I thought, just another Steakhouse. It is a steakhouse and seafood restaurant with an Italian flair. It is owned by the previous manager at Pappa's Brothers Steakhouse.

What changed my mind was an email. In my opinion, it was a great marketing ploy by the owners. We received an email from the restaurant with a $50 gift certificate. Now that talks. Why would we not give it a try?

The first thing we noticed when we arrived was how friendly the staff was. The owner was at the door to greet the patrons and he was very nice. Our waiter, Joel, was also very nice and not "stuffy" like waiters can be at upscale restaurants.

We started the meal with house cured salmon. It was so good that I have been craving it all week. I even went to Market Street yesterday and bought some and have had it for lunch the past couple of days. There were two types of bread. The best part was the dipping oil. It had red pepper flakes that gave it just the right kick with tons of Parmesan cheese and topped with some olives. Very unique and very good. I was full after the bread.

Pops had the filet topped with a crab cake and Bearnaise sauce. He said it was one of the best steaks he has had in a while. I had the short rib, which was also great. We had a side of four cheese mac and cheese. It also had a little kick to it.


We were so full that we were going to fore go the dessert, until, I saw Strawberry Shortcake on the menu. We had to try it. It was one of the best I have ever had. It looked and tasted like Tres Leches cake with strawberries between the layers. Yum. It was so good that I am going to try to recreate it for Jennifer's Birthday on Friday. If it turns out half as good, it will be great.

We will definitely be going back to Tre Amici.

post signature

No comments: