Monday, July 9, 2007

2 New Ones and an Oldie Revisited

I survived July 4th/birthday week. This is almost like Christmas for me. For the past 20 years, I have had the July 4th party along with birthday celebrations for Justin and Janelle. I have always tried to make everyones birthday their special day.

Friday night, Pops and I wanted to eat some place different, so we tried a new place to us in Haltom City on Denton Highway called "The Wooden Nickel." When we pulled up, I wasn't sure I wanted to go there. It could use a little "fluffing" on the outside. When we went inside, the first thing Pops said to me was, "this place smells musty." He got the words out before I could. That is one of my famous phrases when going into an old restaurant. I am always concerned when the smell of "mustiness" out smells the food.

The food was actually pretty good. The inside was also pretty run down. If the food was served at a better location, I would probably go back. I had the catfish and Pops had the "smoked brisket."

Saturday night, for Janelle's birthday, we went to Babe's in Carrollton. It was sooooo good and soooo fattening. Everything was good, especially the corn. Babe's is in an old building, but I didn't smell any "mustiness" at all.

Last night, we decided to try Pappa's Burger. I must say, I was a little shocked by the prices. Now I don't mind dropping some $$$$ for good food, but $9.75 for a hamburger is a little steep. The ordering set up is kind of strange too. You walk in the door and order, get your bill and your drink and then find your own table. Your waiter comes to your table and then asks if you want additional food and then brings your food and your check. Not only are you paying big bucks for a burger, but you also pay $2.25 for a drink + tax and tip. That is $15+ for a hamburger.

The buns were really good, but I do not like thick meat. The hamburger pattie was barely seasoned and tasted like a just a big old blog of meat. The french fries were okay. I probably won't go back.

2 comments:

Brea said...

Was the Pappa's Burger you went to the one over off of Forest Park/University? I saw that they were working on it, but I wasn't sure if it was open yet. However, you're right -- that seems like a bunch of $$$ for just a mediocre hamburger.

mamashine said...

LOVE Babe's!! One of our favorite places.