Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Crazy Week and Much Need Vacation

Pops and I planned to go to Tampa for a meeting this past weekend. We come home today. It usually takes me a couple of days to get ready for a trip because I always feel like I need new clothes and a few other items. I planned to do this on Thursday because we had graduation and a dinner on Friday.

Thursday night, Jennifer went to the grocery store and when she got home, she left her purse in her car. Unfortunately, the garage door was left open for a couple of hours. During that time, a rotten little thief came into her garage, took her purse and had a heyday. Within minutes, he started using her cell phone to check balances on gift cards and credit cards. He had a $200 shopping spree at Albertson's and Quicktrip. Where he made his stupid mistake, he also called a friend.

On Friday morning, when Jennifer realized her purse was gone, she started her detective work and found out where her cards had been used and got her cell phone records. I got in detective mode and called the "friend." She was cooperative eventually and gave me her mother's address. I proceeded to make a little visit to mom. She gave me information that was turned over to the police.

Jennifer made the rounds to Albertson's and Quicktrip and talked to the people there who either remembered the transactions or had video tape. Jennifer's purse was found on the side of the road by the BPD. With all the information and work of the EPD, the suspect was arrested, wrote a confession and is in jail. Funny thing is that we know the officers of both PD's who are brothers and our friends. They worked very hard to solve the case using our information. Since the PD's are so busy, I don't think this would have gone to a detective until a couple of weeks later and it would have been too late.

All this detective work made my travel preparations delayed, but I got them done. Bottom line to thief's, don't mess with us because we will not stop until you are caught. It is very satisfying to take control. Since the thief came into the garage, it is being charged as a burglary of a habitation which is a 1st degree felony. Maybe this will stop him.

After this drama, my trip to Tampa has been wonderful. I am a little nervous about the flight home because there are severe weather alerts. I am hoping we don't have any delayed time on the runway. I might have a claustrophobic heart attack.

No comments: