Friday, December 14, 2007

Christmas at Our House

Christmas at Fellowship Church

About 15 years ago, I started hearing about Fellowship Church. Some people in our Sunday school class were leaving to start Fellowship with 150 others in an office building in Las Colinas. A few years later, they moved to a new building in Grapevine. We heard that it was nothing but "entertainment", "shallow" and "Christianity lite". Certainly not a place we would be interested in.

About 10 years ago, the Christmas services at our church were pretty lame, and as a family, we decided we just could not go anymore. That year, we visited Fellowship for Christmas. It was really good, but with ALL that we had heard, we were not interested in going back. The next year we went to their Christmas service again, and it was great again. As we were leaving, Justin said, "If we went to that church, I would go every Sunday." Wow, we had to take him up on that because it was getting to be a struggle to get everyone to keep going to the boring church, even me. As the sermon would start each week, I would mentally check out and start my grocery list and decide where I would shop that afternoon.

There was a little problem. We were teaching the "Young Married" Sunday school class at our church. Several of them were bored with church and they only came to Sunday school. We felt committed to them. We would go teach and then swing by the house and pick up the kids and head to Fellowship. We decided up front, we were not going to get involved, just attend and leave. We were still skeptical.

Ed was starting a new series. After about 3 weeks, we were hooked. It was entertaining. Jesus was entertaining. It wasn't boring. Jesus wasn't boring. It was creative. Jesus was creative. For the first time in my life, I couldn't wait for the weekend to roll around so that we could go to church.

There have been a few weekends where we have gone on Saturday night and it was so good, we went back on Sunday. Because there will be about 40,000 people attending the Christmas services, they ask that we only attend one, but I must confess, I have been twice on more than one Christmas.

All that to say, I love my church. The things that are happening at Fellowship are phenominal and I am so proud to be a part of it. It is my home. You are invited to Christmas at our house. You will be glad you came.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Couldn't have said it better. Lives change there -- for the better.