Saturday, August 11, 2007

Happy Birthday Daddy

Today, my Dad turned 80. That sounds so old, but he is so young!

He is one of the Godliest men that I have ever known. I am so blessed to have him as my father.

I lived the "Beaver Cleaver" life. My Dad worked as an Aeronautical Engineer for the same company until he retired in 1989. He now has his own business designing foundations for prominent builders in the area. He gets up in the wee hours of the morning and works 7 days a week.

He has always been so disciplined and stubborn. Unfortunately, I did not get his discipline, but did get a strong dose of stubbornness.

For as long as I can remember, he was a very strong Christian and very involved in church. He has always been part of the leadership of the church that he is a part of, and I don't ever remember missing a Sunday of going to church as a family. It was not an option. I remember traveling, and we would attend churches in the city that we were in. This sounds like "religion", but it was really about his relationship.

I don't ever remember him saying a negative word about anyone. He has always been so respectful of others and so polite, and to this day, he adores my Mother.

When I was around 10, he turned into a health nut. He became a vegetarian and began running and riding his bike daily. Nothing would keep him from exercising. If he was on a business trip and didn't get home until 10:00 p.m., he would get his run in before he went to bed. He couldn't go to bed until it was done. He is well know in the community as the man who rides his bike and runs in blue jeans. He has never worn shorts or sweats and rides in the middle of the afternoon in 100 degree weather. He is always friendly and waves at everyone. He still runs 2 1/2 miles a day and rides his bike over 8 miles each day. He said he has had to cut down his distance because he just doesn't have time with all of his work.

We have lived a blessed life. My parents have been married for over 50 years. They have three children, 11 grandchildren and 8 great grandchildren. We all live close by and get together often.
He has been such an awesome example of what a great husband and father should be. He has had a huge impact in Pops life. I can still remember back in our high school days. He would help Pops with his homework, explaining calculus and trig formulas on the little chalkboard in the kitchen.

5 years ago, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer that has spread. He had surgery and decided to forgo any further treatment because he was most concerned with his quality of life. This has not slowed him down and he is still going strong.

We are having a surprise party for him tonight and the entire family is going to be there. Happy Birthday to the greatest Dad I could have ever had.

1 comment:

Janelle and Ella said...

This is a very inspiring story, especially the part about how much he exercises! That is amazing. Your dad is definitely an incredible human being!