Friday, July 27, 2007

It's A Small World Out There

I am obsessed with blogs. I am reading them and finding new ones every day. It is like reading a book to me. It is finding out about what is going on in someones life, their deepest struggles and their triumphs. After reading a while, you feel like you know these people. I think a lot of times, people are more open on a blog than they are in real life. Blog readers "know" some of these people better than their close friends.

Every morning, I get up, drink my coffee and visit all of my regular blogs to find out what is going on in their lives. It is funny because some of my IRL friends also read the same blogs and we talk about these people like they are our next door neighbor.

That leads me to what a small world this. It is amazing how I can read a blog from someone in California and one of their regular readers is someone I read regularly. (I know this by reading their sidebar, but I am too technologically challenged to figure out how to add a sidebar). Everyone has some kind of connection somewhere. (Everyone seems to know BooMama). I have a new blog obsession I will tell you about.

For 8 years, our family was a "Transitional Care" family for The Gladney Center. It is a fancy title for volunteer foster parents. If a baby, for legal reasons, could not go directly to the adoptive parents, it would come live with us. Most of the time, I would pick them up at the hospital, some being less than 24 hours old. We would keep them until the legal work was complete, anywhere from a few days to 3 1/2 months. During the 8 year period, we took care of 60 newborns. It was very exhausting, but one of the greatest experiences of my life. I loved every minute of it. That being said, I love babies.

During my blog reading, I have found several blogs of triplets and quadruplets. These are so fun to read. If they have already delivered, I go back to their first post and read from the beginning. It is just like reading a book. (I have been known to bring my laptop to bed with me). I am currently anxiously awaiting the birth of quads from an adorable girl named Suz that lives in my area. Karen is expecting triplets any day now. I also recently found two more girls, Joy and Amy that just found out they are pregnant with triplets.

Another thing about the "bloggy world" is that you feel a connection to these people and pray for them. Prayer is powerful and we all can use all the prayers we can get. If you visit their blogs, please be sure to lift them up. I am sure they will be grateful!

7 comments:

Amy said...

I got your message on my blog. Thanks for reading it. I am new to blogging, but it is so much fun. I love reading what people have to say to me. Also, thank you for the prayers; they are much appreciated and needed.

Amy said...

Oh...one more thing... We live fairly close. We live in the Dallas area.

Suzanne said...

awww..so sweet! thanks for the shout out! and like amy, thanks for the prayers as well! it's the only thing keeping me sane! haha

AW said...

Lolly, thanks for stopping by my blog! We have nothing but great things to say about GWCA - we look forward to completing an adoption with them in a few years.

Also...we have several multiple births in our families. I'm not sure that's ever anything I'd wish on someone. LOL!

Andria said...

Just wanted to "lurk" on to your blog! Love it! Amen! Fairly new to blogging (I think?) and I'm addicted! I, too, anxiously await the arrival of Suz's babies. I'm constantly checking up on these blogs like their authors have time to sit down at their computers and update the world? We're moms, wives, grandmothers, housekeepers, full-time workers etc.! We have time to blog? I am hooked on it! Okay, gotta catch up on my "family". Oh, I guess I'll catch up on your blog too!
~Andria (Sacramento)

Mama B said...

I have to say I am a blog surfer myself and it definitely does feel like you really get to know these people.

Janelle and Ella said...

Lolly, My mouth dropped open when I read that you have taken care of 60 NEWBORNS!! You are amazing. Really, I can not think of a bigger blessing than you and your husband taking in these just born babies. Loving on them so much and then having to give them up. You are incredible. I really have no words for how selfless you are. What an amazing life you have?! I would love to hear some stories on your journies with these precious babies!