Friday, February 13, 2009

Where Is God?

I have been thinking about this post for a couple of days. I can't think how to begin, so I have just decided to "let it go" and start rambling.


In case you didn't know, I go to Fellowship Church. I have gone there for 9 years and have always loved my church. It is a huge church with over 20,000 people each week. It is not a perfect church, but there is no perfect churches anywhere. With the loss of Jimmy this week, I got to see my church be the church. The love of my church went to "a whole nuther level" this week. I have been asking myself "why", and I have the answer; God.


He was there. He has always been there, but I saw Him in a huge way in SO many people. That is why I am feeling this way. I heard a quote one time, "Find out where God is working, and meet him there". He is alive, and working at Fellowship Church. The church is not the building, it is the people.


When you realize that you are a sinner and that Jesus Christ paid the price for your sins and died on the cross for you, and you ask Him to take over your life, He does. I have seen Jesus in the flesh this week in so many people who have previously made that decision.


The first person is Tricia York. She has gone through the darkest storm in her life, yet love, peace and comfort that is beyond our human understanding has flowed from her. If you haven't read her blog, check it out here. This is what life with Jesus looks like in the middle of a storm.


Pops and Jimmy have been teaching a class at church titled "A Marriage That Lasts" about leaving a legacy in your marriage. Last night, about 275 people showed up, and Tricia was there. She knew that Pops was talking and that Jimmy would have been there. She has shown hundreds of people what it looks like to go through something so tragic, but to have the peace and grace that only God can provide. God has given her comfort. She has made the decision to get up, put one step in front of the other, and live like Jimmy would want her too. Jimmy would be so proud of his wife. I glad to call her my friend.


Jimmy's best friend, Todd Hamilton, spoke at his service. He did an awesome job. I know how torn up Todd is by the loss of his friend and co-worker. Without a doubt, it was God speaking through Todd. Preston Mitchell spoke and Ed Young prayed an incredible prayer with the staff surrounding the family. It was God speaking.


We were on the Married Life Team with Jimmy and 5 other couples. I have seen these people in a whole different light this week. It is God. Pops taught 2 classes this week. At the last minute, his lessons changed. He was led to go a different direction. It was God speaking to him.


I could go on and on, but the bottom line is God's people at Fellowship Church didn't just "talk the talk". This week they "walked the walk". Jimmy would be so proud.



post signature

5 comments:

Gary said...

A very nice blog. Your insight is commendable and, I believe, you're on the mark. God works through each of us, if we allow ourselves to become His receptacle.

Thank you, and God bless you and yours.

I invite you to visit my site at garyross.ca.

Gary

A Frugal Friend said...

Beautiful post. I was there at the funeral service and wholly agree with you.
God is at work - wholly and completely in this difficult and challenging time.

Stacy P. said...

AMEN! That is the main thing that comes to mind after reading your post...AMEN! I too believe that GOD was at work at the funeral and I have never been prouder to be a memeber of FC! Today I started a devotional book with Chase and the main point of the lesson was that a church isn't about a building it is about people meeting together to obey and praise GOD!! Thank you for the example that you set for us through this blog and in your life!

KARA said...

You know, it is a reminder to me of how everything else really is just irrelevant in the light of His grace. The sum of all the other things in my life just doesn't matter when stacked up to the love and importance of my relationship with Jesus. A reminder of the necessity of that focus was much needed - thanks!

York Family said...

Thanks for the beautiful post, Laura. Thank you for being part of the amazing ministry machine that is Fellowship Church. I don't know where I would be without all of you. Love you so much!