Thursday, December 4, 2008

Slacker

Yes, that would be me. I have not blogged in a while.

Just like everyone else, I have been caught up in decorating, shopping and wrapping for Christmas. I am doing pretty good, and I think I am in better shape this year than in the past.

I just finished up my 10th week of Gr*nd J*ury D*ty, and I have two weeks left. This is the fourth time I have done this in the past 10 years. While it is one of the most interesting things I have done, towards the end of the term, it gets to be very draining. They save the really difficult cases for the end of the term. So far we have heard approximately 1,300 cases. Yes, you read that right. There is also another jury working at the same time. That means there are a lot of criminals around.

I used to think that 5% of people in the world were bad and the other 95% were good. I have now decided that it is just the opposite. After a while, you get to where drugs, burgulary, assaults and DWI's are just an every day occurance and not that big of a deal. Almost every single crime has an element of alcohol or drug abuse.

You don't ever get numb to the sexual assaults of children, battered women that don't want to prosecute, or senseless murders. It is gut wrenching to sit and listen to someone tell how they have been violated and how a horrible crime has changed their life. Entire families are devestated over these crimes. It is devestating to me to sit and watch adults cry while they are telling about how they have been effected.

Lately I have come home after listening to these cases for 7 hours straight, and I am drained. Blogging is the last thing on my mind. I hope I have made the right decisions that will help people get justice.



post signature

1 comment:

Cristel said...

I for one completely give you a "pass" on blogging for a while. I would not be able to do it either if I was hearing 7 hours of horror a day. I didn't know you were doing this. I think it's great that you are so committed to it and are concerned about justice. I'll be praying for you to finish strong and to not get to beaten down. Hugs.