Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I Am An Idiot

In July, our main computer crashed. Completely dead. We are such idiots that we never backed up any files and lost everything. I am still contemplating taking the hard drive to a company in Irving that restores them, but I don't really want to spend hundreds of dollars just so I can have the info. Other than the 3,000 pictures that were on there, I can't really say that there is something specific that I want. Every few days, I will think of a document that would be nice to have, but it is not something that I "need". There was about 6 years of information that we lost.

We still each have laptops. Mine is just a year old and I have never backed anything up on it. I basically use it for internet access, but I did have files with sites and passwords.

We went to eat dinner last night and when I got home, my laptop screen was blank. I restarted my computer and it was blank again. I spent a couple of hours trying to make it work. That is a joke because I don't know what I am doing, but if it sounded like it might work, I did it. I hoped that this morning when I got up, I would walk in and it would be magically fixed.

Since that didn't happen, I got on the phone with Dell this morning. After over an hour of clicking her and clicking there, I have my computer back, but I again, have lost all data. It has been restored to where it was when I bought it. It has taken me 4 1/2 hours to find and update Norton and AOL. I am hoping that somehow I can get my IPod playlist back, but I am too brain dead to think about working on that today.

This is so frustrating!!! I am so thankful that it is working again, but I am such an idiot that I didn't learn my lesson after the first crash. At least I only had to pay Dell $49 and not guy a new hard drive.

I guess the first thing I need to do it to learn how to backup files.

post signature

5 comments:

Missy said...

We JUST bought an external harddrive that we set to backup our computer automatically three days a week. Literally, Matt just installed it yesterday. I don't know that much about it, but you could ask him for the best way to backup your laptop so that it does it automatically so you don't have to remember to do it. I'm SO sorry that happened! I know I'd be SO frustrated!! I have WAY TOO MANY pictures...I would honestly be devestated to lose them!

Jeff Dowdle said...

Go to www.mozy.com. It is $5 a month and your files are backed up automatically across the internet. If you need to restore them, you can restore them to any computer with an internet connection. Very easy to use.

Missy said...

I went to get a toenail polish change and I left my phone in the car!!! That is HUGE for me! Granted, it only took about 15 minutes, but it was still huge for me to not have my phone with me at least to check emails. Baby steps, right??? :)

Gigi2 said...

Lolly, I know how important backing up is. But.....guess what. I haven't backed up my files in over 5-6 years. The only thing I am faithful about backing up is Ed's business acct and my personal acct. Mainly for our accountants.
You just made me think, I better get mine backed up....or else! Long time ago, we had to back up our files daily at work, but now our tech guru has it set to back up everynight thru our network. I think that is why I forget to back up at home. I am going to ask Missy and Matt about the external harddrive too. Thanks for the post!

Brea said...

Oh no! I remember Jenn telling me about when your home computer crashed -- I'm still upset for you about the 3,000 pictures! :( Anyway, we're terrible about backing up our home PC too -- this has been a good reminder to do something about it! Thanks!