Saturday, February 23, 2008

Sending Cards - First Time for This Occasion

I love to send cards to people and I love to get cards. It is very special to me to get a card from someone in the mail. It means they thought so much about me that they took the time to go to the store, look up my address, write a note, find a stamp (that's a big one) and take it to the post office. It means that they value you and you are worth the effort.

Pops got a card in the mail yesterday from an ex employee thanking him for being a great person to work for and saying how much she appreciated him. This year for Valentine's day, I made 30 Valentine cards and sent them out to people that I care about. When I read the obituaries and see that a friend (even if it is someone I haven't seen in a couple of year) has lost a loved one, I will send them a card telling them I'm sorry for their loss and I am praying for them.

We have some friends that we used to go to church with (Cary and Julie). Cary used to work for Pops and they were a part of our home bible study. They are a sweet, loving family. I ran into them at the grocery story about 3 months ago and they were telling me about their family and how well everyone was doing, and they were so happy, just like they always had been. They love Pops and were talking about how they were just having a conversation about him and something he said just that week.

There was a 20 year old murdered in Hurst last Friday. While the police are not releasing any of the details, I did read something so disturbing. When I read it, I felt like I had been punch in the stomach. It physically hurt.

Cary and Julie's 17 year old son has been charged with the murder along with some other boys. My heart is breaking for them. I can't get them off my mind and I am constantly praying for them. I can't imagine what it would be like to be in their position. I hurt so badly for them.

Pops tried to call them a couple of times yesterday, but their phone was out of service. (I wonder why). We sent them a card telling them that we cared about them, were praying for them, and we are available for them.

I hope I don't ever have to send a card on this occasion again. Would you please pray for God's comfort and peace for Cary, Julie and John at this very difficult time in their lives.

2 comments:

Brea said...

Oh my goodness, Laura, that is just a terrible thing to hear. I heard about the murder in Hurst, and I will be keeping their entire family in my prayers.

Sandra at 7th St. Studio said...

Laura, my heart just sank to my stomach! How tragic for everyone involved here! They will so appreciate your card, they need prayers and friends to face this! I can't imagine what they must be going through, praying for them also!!-Sandra