Monday, February 25, 2008

I Fought The Law And . . . *** *** Won - Part I



I wrote previously that I was going to go to court last week and fight my ticket, and I did. It was a real experience. I left my house at 6:55 a.m., thinking I would be home by about noon. Boy was I crazy.

When I got the ticket back in July, I thought it was a total mistake. It was in a heavy construction area and the signs were poorly marked. I retained an attorney, thinking I would pay my $50 and a few months later they would let me know if it was dismissed or that I would pay a fine. Apparently in Dallas things don't work that way. In Dallas, a trial is requested and you have to appear in court.

Once I found a parking place in the lot, I quickly made it through security and found my place in the courtroom. Outside the courthouse is a historical marker. This is the same courthouse where Jack Ruby shot Oswald.

It quickly filled up with about 60 other citizens that were there to "fight the law". The judge came in at 8:30 for the docket call. If you or your attorney did not answer when your name was called, a warrant was issued for your arrest. At this time, they explained that the police officer that issued your ticket had until 9:45 to appear. Just sit tight until then.

Then we were told to get a copy of the "rules" from a bin on the wall. No eating, no drinking, no cellphones, no caps, no talking and NO READING. You have got to be kidding me. I brought me a juicy book to pass the time. Can anyone explain to me just how reading would disturb anyone around me? Court was not even in session, but I didn't dare read because I didn't want to make anyone mad. A couple of cellphones went off, and the reaction from the judge was not good. I thought he just might attack the victim if his bailiff was not there to hold him back. Glad it wasn't mine.

I sat for the next hour staring at the walls and reading the rule sheet over and over and over and over again. I definitely wanted to make sure I didn't break any of them and incur the wrath of Mr. Judge. He had a little bit of an ego going and I knew he would not hesitate to show you who was in charge.

At 9:45, we all rose one more time for Mr. Judge and to find out if our police officer had arrived. I waited patiently waiting for my name to be called. When the name is called, they either announced officer unavailable or ready. When my name was called, the prosecutor announced . . . .

2 comments:

Janelle & Ella said...

Oh the suspense!!

Gigi said...

Ok....you definitely know how to keep us staying tuned! Can't wait to hear part II! Lolly, somehow I just know this is going to be good!
You are an amazing lady!