Thursday, February 21, 2008

Court and Kitchen

Last August 1st, we had a 50th birtday lunch at Al Biernat's for my friend Tina. When we were leaving Dallas, I got a ticket for "disregarding traffic control device" or in laymans terms, I went straight in a right turn only lane. The sign was at the intersection and barely visible. The officer stood in the street and pulled over every car in the line of traffic. We thought it was a detour.

He then selectively gave tickets. I thought it was unfair and decided to fight it. I hired an attorney and figured I'd pay my fee and they would do the work. Unfortunately in Dallas it doesn't work that way. I have to be in court at 8:00 a.m. this morning for a jury trial. I am guessing the way it works is the attorney is hoping the officer does not show up, and it will be dismissed. I also think they don't want to go to trial and the DA's office will offer a low settlement.

Had I known at the time that it was going to be such a hassel, I would have paid the $200 and walked away. It will be interesting to see what happens. I just can't imagine that the officer remembers every detail of this particular traffic stop from almost 7 months ago. What a waste of time and taxpayers money.

The good news of the week is that my kitchen sink came in. Yeah!!! I have been waiting for it since January 9th. Now the countertops, backsplash, cooktop, faucets, and painting can get finished. The cooktop has been in the back of my car for about 4 weeks so I will be glad to get it out!

No comments: