Thursday, January 24, 2008

Questions Answered - Dream Job

I got some great questions. "K in the Mirror" (I am guessing this is Kelli and I have missed your blog), first wanted to know my dream job. I thought I had it last summer and then I got fired after three weeks.

My two biggest interests career wise have always been medicine and law enforcement. Why, I don't know, but I love them both. When I was 16, I started working at a hospital in Medical Records. I stayed there for 9 years and worked my way around in the department. I loved it! You knew everything going on, but you didn't actually have to have hands on contact. It was so interesting. If I went back to work, I would love to do the same thing. I am sure it has changed in the last 25 years.

Law enforcement is my other big passion. My mother used to always tell me I should be a Private Investigator since I was always so curious about what is going on, and if I didn't know the answer, I was sure going to find it.

In 1997, I was asked to be on the Tarrant County Grand Jury. It was a 3 month term and you went to the courthouse every other Wednesday and every Thursday and Friday. The Grand Jury is responsible for reviewing every felony case to make sure there is probable cause that the crime was actually committed, and that the case should be moved forward. Prosecutors from the DA's office present the cases and you vote on each one. Most of them were DWI, theft, or drugs, but we had several murder cases. Most of the time it was just the prosecutor, but every once in a while there would be witnesses. We reviewed about 1500 cases during the term.

I loved every minute of it! I said I could be a professional Grand Juror. I got to serve again in 2002 and 2003. I was asked again in 2006 and just this past summer, but I had to turn them down since I was traveling in the summer and babysitting the girls. I was so disappointed. I would love to get the opportunity to do it again. It was one of the most interesting things I have done in my life.

During this same time period, I got an email from the Bedford Police Department saying they had a few openings in their Citizens Police Academy. I jumped on that. It is a program that selects 12 citizens and takes them through a 12 week academy. You learn all aspects of police work and even get to go to the range and shoot the police guns. It was so interesting.

I went out and bought a police scanner. I keep it in my car. I don't listen to it often, but when I am out and hear sirens, I will turn it on. I have caught some interesting things; hostage situations and an arson with suicide attempt/Careflight in progress.

Since I am a member of the BCPAAA, I can ride out with the police whenever I want. It has been a while since I have been out, but it is fun. One of my friends is an officer and I go with him. He has recently gone back to nights so I need to ride again. Much more interesting than days. He will stop by my house sometimes when he is riding around and it is funny to watch the neighbors reactions as they drive by. They must think we have a lot of crime around our house.

All this leads to my "dream job." Last summer, I was challenged to come up with my dream job and pursue it. My dream job would be a Private Investigator. I emailed and called around to a few people and talked to a guy with a PI firm. We met the next day and he hired me on the spot. When he hired me, I told him my family came first.

I did a couple of surveillance jobs and "chased down" a couple of people. It was so much fun. My first job was a success and my second was going well. He gave me a third assignment which I was a little uncomfortable with. I was to sit in a bar with my "boss" and watch someone for about 3 hours, take pictures and then follow her to pick up her child from daycare. The thought crossed my mind about what if someone I knew (or that knew me from church) saw me sitting in a bar with another man for hours. Would that damage mine or my husbands reputation?

While I was making arrangements to meet him, he asked what I was doing the next night, which was Friday. I told him I could not work on Friday, Saturday or Sunday nights because that was when my husband and I went out, but I could work any other time. He said, "Well this is the first I have heard of this and if you can't work then, I don't need you." (Click)

My career was over, just like that. I did check into PI some more, but then realized that I would need to work when others don't want to, nights, weekends and holidays. It was a short lived dream, but fun while I did it. I did get 3 paychecks, so I can say I really was a PI.

My family thought it was such a joke and they nicknamed me, "Lolly Marsh, PI."

In "real life", I am living my dream job. For as long as I can remember, all I ever wanted to do was be a wife and a mother. Now I am also blessed to be a grandmother to two precious little girls. Who could ask for more?

4 comments:

K in the Mirror said...

I had no idea! That is so interesting. I think I'd love the grand jury position too. I've been called for jury duty twice but I've never actually been picked to do anything.

And yes, it's me. :) I had to take my blog down because I was having trouble with weird anonymous comments and like you said, family comes first. I had too much stuff about my kids out there to be comfortable.

Brea said...

Oh my goodness, I had no idea that you actually got to do some PI work! That is too cool! I remember when Jenn's purse got stolen out of her garage and you and her solved the crime. I should have known!!

Janelle & Ella said...

WOW!! Y'all keep getting more and more interesting! You are such a cool woman. I can't imagine being that brave.

Gigi said...

Cool Grandma!! Lolly, I never knew this about you! Jenn is going to have to share more with us about her family. I enjoyed reading this, that I went back and read it again! WOW! What an interesting lady!! And, I too now understand the "passion" for finding Jenn's purse! I am so very dull compared to you!! I am going to have to get out and live a little more! Write some more.