Thursday, August 9, 2007

Seeing Life Differently

Since I was not too crazy about Philly, I decided to make the best of the trip and take a tour to Lancaster, PA. I was picked up at hotel at 7:30 a.m. by a shuttle driver. He picked up two other girls that I spent the day with and I really enjoyed my time with them. One was a kindergarten teacher from Lubbock and the other was a high school French and Spanish teacher from England. She came to the states by herself for 3 weeks for vacation and had been all up the east coast.

The shuttle driver took us to the train station. We had about an hour drive to Lancaster and then were picked up by a cab. He took us to meet our tour bus in the heart of the Amish country. I have to say that this was one of the greatest tours I have ever had.

We watched a movie about the Amish life called "Jacob's Choice", toured a model home, ate an authentic Amish meal and then drove around for 2 1/2 hours looking at homes and stopping at Amish gift shops. I had so much fun and learned so much that I didn't know.

I now see the Amish completely different than how I had ever thought. I used to think they were a bunch of very strange people and now that I understand how they "came to be", my whole perspective has changed. I definitely understand where they are coming from although I don't think I could live my life like that. I am very thankful that God chose me to be who I am and live the life I live.

No comments: