Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Message

As I was reading my daily devotional this morning, I came across this quote.

"When you have found food for your soul, lead others to the source."

Those of you who know me well know that I am not a studious person. As my children have said, when I talk about reading, that means People magazine.

A few months ago, a very wise elderly man at my church was talking about the Bible he uses, "The Message." He was talking about how easy it was to understand. My ears perked up quickly because I have trouble with my NAS regular Bible. I had never heard about "The Message", but of course Pops had one right upstairs along with every other version made.

I have been reading it since then and I love it. For someone like me who is definitely scholarly challenged, it is very simple and easy to understand. I read it along with the"Our Daily Bread" daily devotional. It works great for me.

On Mother's day, the devotional really hit me. It is a little too late for me, but hopefully it will help others. The mother of John and Charles Wesley, historic Christian men, had a few rules she followed in training her children.
  • Subdue self-will in a child and work together with God
  • Teach him to pray as soon as he can speak
  • Give him nothing he cries for and only what is good for him if he asks for it politely
  • To prevent lying, punish no fault that is freely confessed, but never allow a rebellious, sinful act to go unchecked
  • Commend and reward good behavior
  • Strictly observe all promises you made to your child

Had I read this 25 years ago, I definitely would have made some changes in how I parented. So, I am leading others to the source.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Thank you for this post.

Kelli in the Mirror said...

I LOVE this list. So appropriate even for today.