Sunday, April 1, 2007

Who Are You 24/7????

Last night we got together with several couples that we have been friends with for many years. We all met when we went to another church 20 years ago. Several of us have moved on, but we are still friends and like to get together and catch up. One of our friends moved into an absolutely gorgeous home 7 months ago and we were all dying to see it. It is unreal to say the least. The decorator just finished her work and we were all asking if we could rent a room for a weekend vacation. The house is 6,500 + square feet with a huge lot, beautiful pool, cabana and lake. I could live on the patio with the grill, refrigerator, fireplace, outside heaters and 2 TV's. I am so happy for them.

As we were all catching up, we were discussing our trips that we have planned for the summer. I excitedly told them about my Home Team trip. I was a little taken back by some of the responses.

I try to be the same person 24/7. I don't have a different personality around my "church friends", my pastors or any other people I hang out with. My life is not segmented.

One of my friends (K) said she couldn't believe I was going with a church group to Vegas. She didn't have a problem with me going to Vegas at all, just not with a church group. I explained to her that I behave the same way in Vegas no matter who I am with and that I don't do anything I would be ashamed of. (FYI - when we decided to go on this trip, I emailed my Home Team Pastor the email about our trip). A asked K if she would go to Vegas, and she said, "Heck yea! But, I don't think it is right for a church group to go to Las Vegas because it is Sin City." HELLO, Dallas is Sin City. Everywhere we go is Sin City because we are all sinners. She also said that when she goes out with friends, there are some she will drink around and others she won't.

I personally choose not to drink for two reasons. #1 and the most important, is I think it tastes nasty!!! I don't even like food prepared with "white wine sauce" or "bourbon sauce". If an entree at a restaurant has that type sauce on it, I will pass it up.

The other reason I don't drink is because I have a family history of alcoholism. It has absolutely destroyed the lives of family members close to me. Why would I want to have alcohol as a part of my life when I have seen the destruction that it has caused my family?

I try to live my life according to God's word. I have not found anywhere in the Bible where it says we should not drink alcohol. We all have the freedom to choose. This is not an issue of drinking, but about being the same person all the time.

Who are you 24/7????

5 comments:

Bolline Family said...

Hi! Thanks for posting and sharing such an awesome story!! I love to hear ones like that with happy endings! I enjoyed visiting your blog, it's always good to hear from another believer!

Gigi2 said...

Wow! You are so right on! Thank you for making me stop and think who I am 24/7. I applaud your comments on Vegas and attitudes on drinking. I know who I want to be 24/7.....a Christian first, and secondly....GIGI! :) Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Kelli in the Mirror said...

Very interesting. I do try to be the same person all the time. We had a girls' night out with people from our church this weekend and there's always a few bottles of wine. I'm nursing and I don't like wine anyway, but some people drank it and it's no big deal either way. I don't get drunk, but I do have a glass of something every now and then, and I don't hide it from anyone.
In Vegas though? Yeah. I would think you'd have to guard yourself on a church trip just for other people's perceptions. Maybe a double standard, but what can you do?

Gigi2 said...

I want to respond to Kelli, and others who might read this, and say that I agree. I also want to clarify that I am not opposed to moderate drinking and I know God does not look on us as "sinners" if we have a glass of wine, beer, or mixed drink occasionally. However, I do believe the Bible teaches us moderation, not "drunkenness". And, I believe we have to be honest 24/7 with other believers so as not to influence them in the wrong way. Fortunately, because we are sinners, Jesus gave his life for us because he knew we couldn't be like HIM 24/7; and as Max Lucado said in his book, "God loves us the way we are; but he refuses to leave us that way because he wants us to be "Just Like Jesus." Great Book! Life can be a struggle, but "If God brings us to it, HE will bring us through it."

Lolly said...

GiGi, you words are perfect. I can't add anything to them at all. He wants us to be like Him.