Monday, January 15, 2007

Does Anyone Read This Besides GiGi????

I know I have been terrible at posting over the last month. Of course, with Christmas and Jordan's graduation we were busy (just like everyone else) and I didn't post. I still keep reading all of my favorite blogs but I have just had a little bit of a writing block. Of course, I could write about Landrie and Karsyn all day, but GiGi is the only one that would love that (and I know she would definitely love it).

After Christmas, Pops and I always take a trip. It is our treat for the previous hectic month. We have gone to New York on the last 2 trips and I decided that it was just too cold. Last year when we were walking from the hotel to go eat, the wind was blowing and I thought to myself, "I will never come back here again in the winter. It is not fun!"

This year we decided to go to the new Hyatt Resort in Bastrop, The Hyatt at Lost Pines. It was very nice and we enjoyed it. It is very rustic. It is way out in the wilderness, about 5 miles off the highway. It sits on the Colorado River. We ate breakfast there a couple of days and went into Austin to eat, but nothing spectacular at all. If was a very low key weekend as far as eating goes. (That is a big deal for us!)

We were looking forward to going to church the next weekend. We knew that a new series, "Larger Than Life" was going to start. Our pastor had interviewed Hulk Hogan and there would be some clips from the interview over the next few weeks. (I have heard rumors that Hulk will be at church this weekend).

As Ed talked about living larger than life, he talked about a scripture that says, "when you pray, when you give and when you fast". He asked that the church join him in a 21 day fast. Why fast? To grow deeper in your relationship with the Lord and to be blessed. Fasting makes us humble before the Lord and it strengthens our body, our soul (mind, will and emotions), and our spirit. I was taken back a little on this because with a series with Hulk Hogan, I had no idea I was going to be invited to join a corporate fast. Blew my mind.

After thinking about it for about an hour, I decided to be a part of it. I want to grow deeper in my relationship with Him, I want to be blessed along with my church more abundantly than I could ever imagine and I want to develop strength.

I am doing a "Daniel Fast". In Matthew he talks about refraining from eating the King's rich food and having vegetables and water only. Since I was working Sunday, my "last meal" was an oatmeal raisin cookie from Corner Street Bakery and I fasted on water and juice only until Monday night. Since then (10 days ago), I have eaten fruit and vegetables and nuts. THAT IS ONE MAJOR REASON I HAVE NOT BLOGGED. THERE IS NOTHING EXCITING ABOUT EATING THIS. At first, I thought that it would be pretty easy, but eating the same few foods over and over is pretty bland. We are getting creative.

I have cooked more in the last week than I have in a long time. We have eaten at Luby's a lot! We have tried to go to Furr's for some variety twice, and they have been closed both times, once for a power outage and last night for the weather.

We will make it. Jordan does not like any vegetables other than beans, corn and potatoes, so she eats the same thing every meal.

We have all discussed how that if this was a "diet", we would have quit after the third day, but because we have made the commitment to do this for God, there is no way we are cheating. It would be cheating on Him.

We will break the fast on Saturday, January 27th with communion. We ALL keep talking about where we are going for dinner after that. Is is possible to hit 8 restaurants in one night?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read. :) Generally I lurk, but I'll come out to say hi since you're asking. I live close enough to try some of the places you talk about so it's always nice to see what you have to say.

I'd love to hear more about how the Daniel fast is going and what kind of stuff you're cooking. It sounds hard.

Gigi2 said...

Hi Lolly, thank you for updating me on the blog! But where are the pictures of Karsyn and Landrie? I know I am whining, but you know how I miss those precious girls. I appreciate your fasting and faithfulness to our Lord. I may join you as I have pledged to be stronger in my faith this year and to study and grow closer in my relationship. I'll be thinking of you and and your family. Take care of our babies and give them a hug for me....the big ones too!:)
Gigi

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's a great thing to do. I am always so impressed when I hear that people are fasting for the correct reasons. I hope that you continue to update on how everything is going.